President Kim on Trustee Qualifications

Last Wednesday night (March 3) President Kim met with some 700 alumni at the Dartmouth Club of New York. When asked in the public Q&A session what qualifications he'd like to see in Trustees to be elected by alumni beginning March 10, President Kim “I think we need someone who is wildly successful in his career, who would bring to the Board a wealth of experiences that would help us to take Dartmouth to new heights. I also think that what we don’t need is someone who wants to second-guess everything we do and get involved in micromanaging our administration around operational details that are really my responsibility. The Board needs a big thinker who is an accomplished, proven leader, and I need a true partner whose counsel I can seek. I’ve developed that relationship with many on the board who are world-class leaders of global companies and I think that’s a great model.”

These characteristics were also valued by the Trustees Nominating Committee for the Alumni Council, which considered over 400 alumni for these two open posts, and are strongly reflected in the backgrounds of the two candidates (John Replogle ’88 and Mort Kondracke ’60) overwhelmingly nominated by the full Alumni Council.