Great Issues: One Young World Forum Video

I am in London this week as a sponsor and speaker at the One Young World Summit. The event has gathered over 1,000 young leaders from 192 countries to discuss, debate and decide on a plan of action to help solve the world’s great issues. Topics include the environment, the role of global business, the media, and global health. I am joined by global leaders in their field including Archbishop Desmond Tutu, Nobel Peace Laureate Professor Muhammad Yunus and Kofi Annan. As the only business leader addressing the summit, I am honored to have the opportunity to deeply engage with such a talented group of young leaders. Their response to my speech can be found here.

We at Burt’s Bees are proud to have sponsored 10 delegates from the US, Canada, UK, Australia, Japan, and Korea to attend the summit. I’ve been inspired by their personal stories and their thoughtful approach to tackling the world’s greatest challenges. And I have shared with them how our company works to advance the triple bottom line of people, profit and the planet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ai2i-SV5p0Y

The delegates remind me of the young women and men who attend Dartmouth; they are bright, purposeful, passionate, and committed. I would love to see such a summit at Dartmouth that gathers notable global experts to engage with our students as part of the preparation they receive for addressing the challenges that await them beyond Hanover and as a means for showcasing the College to an influential international audience. I recall the passion and energy with which my Dad, David Replogle ’53, shared with me his personal love for the Great Issues course he took as a senior, and it has been a consistent touchstone for my friend and fellow Trustee candidate Mort Kondracke since his years in Hanover. As a trustee, I will work with President Kim and Mort to realize our shared vision to bring Great Issues back to campus.